UNDER THE NEW REGULATIONS HOBBY DRONE PILOTS:
- Do not need an RPL (Remote Pilots Licence).
- Do not need to register their RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) aircraft.
- Do not need an aviation medical.
- Can fly RPAS up to 7kg weight.
- Can fly up to the height of the highest object in 300m of the drone (up to a max of 400 feet).
- Can fly up to 500m away from the pilot, while maintaining direct line of sight (RVLOS).
- Need to keep more than 50m from people.
- Need to keep more than 50m from roads.
- Need to keep more than 50m from buildings.
- Need to keep more than 10km from airports.
- May only fly RPAS in daylight and clear weather conditions.
- May not fly in No Fly Zones.
- May not fly on any property without permission from the property owner.
Private operation - means the use of an RPA for an individual's personal and private purposes where there is no commercial outcome, interest or gain;
Restricted visual line-of-sight (R-VLOS)* - means an operation within 500 m of the remote pilot and below the height of the highest obstacle within 300 m of the RPA, which the remote pilot maintains direct unaided visual contact with the RPA to manage its flight and meet separation and collision avoidance responsibilities;
- It is the full responsibility of the remote pilot of the RPAS to fly his/her aircraft safely and not endanger safety of another aircraft, any person or property.
- The remote pilot must observe all statutory requirements relating to liability, privacy and any other laws enforceable by any other authorities.
1. Private operations of RPAS shall be conducted:
a. only in R-VLOSb. with a Class 1A or 1B RPA (mass < 7 kg, Impact energy* < 15 kJ)
a. Near manned aircraftb. 10 km or closer to an aerodrome (airport, helipad or airfield)c. In controlled, restricted or prohibited
a. Any person or group of persons (like sport fields, road races, stadiums, schools, social events, etc.)b. Public roadc. Any property without permission from property owner